Dichotomous Key

This assignment was pretty interesting and challenging (for me) overall. I’m still getting used to the vocabulary, so this took longer than expected, specially when I was trying to understand the Hulten Master Dichotomous Key to identify the plants from the bins. It helped a lot to find and use pictures along with the descriptions. I found that even when I wasn’t sure what the name of something was, comparing it to a picture really helped in figuring it out on my own. Anyways, I used the dichotomous key video tutorial as a guideline for mapping out my key, in addition to the violet dichotomous key from the practice exercises. Here’s what I came up with:

A.   Plant Woody- B

B. Needles, branchlets glabrous; cones 3-6 cm long……………………………………. 1)  Picea glauca

A’ Plant Non-woody- C

C. Flowers with petals present- D

C’ Flowers with petals lacking- E

D. Petals white; 4 small petals; pubescent pedicels and stems………………………… 2)  Arabis divaricarpa

D’ Petals purple; 6 large petals; pubescent stems; many stamen……………………. 3)  Anemone patens var. multifida

E. Flowers arranged in catkins; young pubescent capsules; yellow stamens……. 4)  Salix bebbiana

One comment

1. Wow, very well done Katie.

Yes, you got it, but really it was not needed to identify each plant in the bins from my pictures. I think you are ready to take the next class BIOL331- Systematic Botany.

Well done, I am happy you were able to identify the plants with the pictures provided.

Comments are closed.