Jennie’s Introduction

Hi everyone!

My name is Jennie Humphrey and I was born and raised in Haines, AK. My favorite tree is Betula papyrifera and my favorite wildflower is Achillea millefolium. I have one more semester to go at UAF and will graduate with a BA in Wildlife Biology and minor in Sustainable Agriculture. I am currently here in Haines for the summer working with the village of Klukwan on a food sovereignty project. The study will help to start some conversations about indigenous stewardship, but the main goal is to gauge people’s ideas and opinions on various food-related projects we could implement (ex: plant wild berries, fruit trees, expand community garden) and get people thinking about how they could contribute to a more food secure community.

I’m excited to take part in this class with all of you! I love learning how to use local plants as food and medicine and am happy to share what I learn along the way 🙂

One comment

1. Welcome Jennie! Exciting to see your combination of expertise in Wildlife Biology and Sustainable Agriculture. I hope this class can add to your knowledge base and we can all learn from each other on how to grow more and plentiful crops in Alaska. Cheers, Steffi.

Comments are closed.