Plant BINGO

I’m not 100% sure if all of them are correct (especially adnation and anther dehiscence). Let me know if anything is off and I’ll do my best to hunt down the correct thing!

PlantBingo

3 Comments

1. Thanks Jennie, these are great examples. The silique you are showing is actually a legume, a pea pod of a lupine (?). Siliques are restricted to the mustard or cabbage family. You are showing one for adnation. Find the fruits of that plant, if it has a silique (fruits 3x longer than wide). The cabbage family also has silicles (these are broader than long or < than 3x longer than wide). The siliques are different from the legumes (although superficially similar looking), the main reason is the fact that a legume is derived from one carpel, while the silique is derived from two. The two valves that come off the center where the seeds are attached (the replum) in the Mustard family fruits (siliques or silicles) are the two carpels. In the legume, there is only one carpel (= 1 leaf that is folded onto itself to enclose the seeds). The legume dehisces along two lines though, one is where the leaf is fused onto itself, and then along the midrib (=the midvein of the leaf) of the pea pod (the little string you sometimes pull to open a pea pod). I hope this helps, thanks for the great pictures. Best, Steffi.

Comments are closed.