Plant Bingo

Hello, I worked real hard to research and compare what plants I saw out at Kincaid Park today in Anchorage with these terms.   Hopefully I have the right idea and understanding.   My plants too, wilted and withered very fast, so just these pictures will have to do for the bingo today.   It was 90 degrees on our hour walk.   Hard to believe for this area.   I did not see a blueberry floral, so used a floral from a USDA brochure which is cited, along with my own blueberry picture.   Plant Bingo MAnderson

4 Comments

1. Tracy Christopherson

Wow, that looks really great! That was a super idea to go to Kincaid Park. I should have wandered farther afield then my backyard.

1. Marcia E Anderson

Yes, hello, it was so hot here in Anchorage that I thought it would be better to try the open coast area for observing this week. It was still hot, but way cooler than Russian Jack area, which is more near my backyard. That location was too hot and had too many mosquitoes.
      If it gets any hotter, I may have to move to the mountains by a glacier. Ha.
      Thanks for your reply.

2. Thanks Marcia, great effort! Well done. Have a look at Jennie’s post on the BINGO and my response. The pea family (Fabaceae) has legumes or pea pods for fruits, while the Mustard family has siliques or silicles. Unfortunately superficially the two look very similar, yet a legume is derived from one carpel (a leaf folded onto itself and fused at the margin and containing the seeds inside), but a silique is derived from two carpels and has a central structure (the replum) where the seeds are attached and that remains after the two carpels (the valves) fall off to expose the seeds in the silique (or the short and fat silicle). We often do not let our cabbages go to seed but it you do you can can watch it, or look at many of the weeds in your garden or at the roadside (yellow-flowered with 4 sepals and 4 petals). The Rorippa that you posted on iNaturalist is in the Mustard family. There are others that have white petals in the mustard family, but these are from the alpine and higher elevations, they also have siliques… Great job! Steffi.

3. Marcia E Anderson

Hello, Yes thanks. This Fabaceae tricked me for sure. I see lots of yellow flowered plants too and for sure will look at them more closely now.
    Thanks so much,
    Marcia

Comments are closed.