Bingo Card (no Blackouts)

Hi, I struggled with finding an example of adnation in my yard. I also have low confidence on a few of these. Not sure if the anther on Rununculus repens (9) is a porate anther dehischence or not. Also, not entirely sure if Heuchera glabra has an inferior ovary or not. Species in my bingo card are (1) Picea glauca (2) Chamaenerion angustifolium (3) Ribes triste (4) Silene sp. [likely non-native] (5) Epilobium hornemannii (6) ?? Sorry, couldn’t find anything! (7) Rununculus repens (8) Silene sp. and Heuchera glabra (9) Rununculus repens

.  Tracy's Plant Bingo

2 Comments

1. Dear Tracy, thanks for these nice images. It is a bit hard to follow along without the Bingo card, but I will try my best to comment on all of them. For the inferior ovary of Heuchera, I think that looks good. Saxifragaceae is a bit tricky and can have superior, inferior and half-inferior ovaries. In your case the stamens are clearly visible above the ovary as part of the floral cup (the hypanthium = fusion of sepals and petals and stamens). So you can also use this flower for adnation, fusion of unlike parts, stamens, sepals and petals form the hypanthium as well. I think there is no example of diadelphous in your images, Epilobium does not have stamens fused in pairs, the legume family is a good example of diadelphous stamens, 9 fused and 1 free stamen. The fruits of Onagraceae (Evening primrose family, includes fireweed) are actually capsules, they superficially look like siliques (long and skinny), but are derived from an inferior ovary of 4 carpels in Onagraceae. Siliques in the Brassicaceae are from a superior ovary of 2 carpels, and the Onagraceae also lacks the replum (the partition that remains after the valves have fallen off and where the seeds are attached) that is typical of the Brassicaceae. I believe anther dehiscence in Ranunculaceae is longitudinal, and not poricidal. Attached a gorgeous image of porate anther dehiscence from Sate Al Abbasi on Flickr in Azalea (Ericaceae). Great job!

2. Tracy Christopherson

Thanks so much for your thoughtful comments. I learned from it. Plant Bingo is a fun challenge for us to continue working on in our personal time. cheers

Comments are closed.