Plant Bingo

Do many species of grasses exhibit porate anther dehiscence?

Moving to things I did find:

Inferior Ovary –  Chamaenerion latifolium

Example of inferior ovary

Connation –  Erythranthe guttata(?)

Palmate venation – species unknown (some kind of saxifrage?)

Adnation – Sanguisorba stipulata

Actinomorphic –  Ranunculus acris(?)

Needles – either a shabby  Picea glauca  or an elegant  Picea mariana

Silique – unknown species and I’m also not confident this is a silique – I’m gambling that this flower may be in Brassicaceae because it has 4 petals.

2 Comments

1. Great images!!! I love the image of the inferior ovary in fireweed, nice! Yes Monkey flower is a great example of connation of the petals. The last image is of Epilobium I believe it is in the same family as fireweed, Onagraceae. Brassicaceae and Ongraceae both have 4 sepals and 4 petals, but Brassicaceae has 6 stamens (tetradynamous) while Onagraceae has 8 -10. But most importantly Onagraceae has inferior ovaries (of four carpels), which you showed so nicely up top, and Brassicaceae has superior ovaries of 2 carpels. The fruits of Onagraceae are capsule in our flora (they can also be berries in other areas), but the fruits of Brassicaceae are the siliques or silicles with the central replum where the seeds are attached. This structure cannot be found in the Onagraceae. Sanguisorba has a hypanthium, a floral cup (adnation of stamens, sepals and petals). Great job of using our native flora for the BINGO. Well done!

2. seschillaci

Ah, thank you for the explanation of Brassicaceae and Onagraceae! I did think that the ovary resembled that of fireweed, so this makes good sense. Thanks for the info!

Comments are closed.