Dichotomous Key

1A: Has needles; woody; cones present….Plant 1

1B: No needles present….Go to 2

2A: Has flowers with petals….Go to 3

2B: Petals absent; incomplete flower….Plant 4

3A: 4 petals, white; gamosepalous; inferior ovary….Plant 2

3B: 6 petals, purple; polysepalous; superior ovary….Plant 3

6 Comments

1. Kirstie Willean

Hi Bree. After over-agonizing this assignment it’s super helpful to see you keyed our plant choices along the pathway to what type of ovary the plants had.

2. Brianna Waller

Hi Bree!

Your key is clear and easy to follow, good job! The only thing I would really suggest is to put 2A where 2B is so the reader doesn’t have to jump over lines.

3. Avatar photo Hattie Casserly

Hi Bree, I like the layout of your dichotomous key. I find it easy to follow along and digest. If I had to give any suggestions I may aim to simplify the key even further. Perhaps instead of including multiple notes (i.e has needles; woody; cones present) you may wish to simplify a bit more and just note that the plant has needles, or the plant has cones present. I appreciate the extra notes, however I gather simplicity may be beneficial for this type of work. Overall, this is a fantastic dichotomous key!

4. Noah Pereira

Hi, great work on the dichotomous key. I used similar features when creating mine. My only suggestion is that plant 3’s “petals” are actually sepals. The picture of the back of the flower is the best one to see the difference.
    – Noah Pereira

Comments are closed.