Introduction – Brenda

Hello, my name is Brenda. I’m a former geologist turned middle school science teacher; I currently work for the Fairbanks public schools. I have lived in Alaska for 10 years, but I don’t know a whole lot about the flora of the state. Back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth and I was still an undergraduate, I did minor in environmental science and took a number of biology classes, but it’s been a hot minute. I’m hoping to refresh my memory with this class and add Alaska-specific knowledge to my skill set. The class was billed as completely asynchronous, so I’m a little sad to see specific weekly deadlines, as I am quite busy this summer. Hopefully I’ll be able to keep up with everyone else.

I do not have a favorite flower, but I really like all the irises along the sides of the highway here in the Interior.

irises in North Pole, AK

2 Comments

1. Welcome Brenda,
    you have some flexibility with the deadlines. You will be able to turn everything in before the end of the class, and you will be fine. So no worries. In my experience some students cannot handle open deadlines, so I have put weekly deadlines into the syllabus. Please work through the material at your own pace. Alaska flag is one of my favorite flowers in the Interior. Beautiful and so abundant.

2. Krista Chadwick

Hey Brenda! I am so glad to see you here. I just got back from Japan and had a little heart attack when I got an email reminding me that I had registered for this class with you. I hope you are well. I sure enjoyed getting to know you in Cordova!