Introduction

Hello,

I don’t know much about plants. I didn’t grow up spending much time outside, and now I’m a black thumb trying to reform. I wind up collecting all the unwanted, neglected plants in my office building and learning about them through enthusiastic failure. I learned about petioles last month because I was trying to save a begonia! In trying to keep them alive, I’ve dipped just a little into the insane variety, and it’s interesting trying to pick up the basics.

It’s hard to decide on a plant or group of plants I find most interesting at the moment, because they all seem to grab my interest in such different ways. I have been especially focused on scented plants this year, and scented geraniums have particularly grabbed my heart. I love the variety and the old fashioned feeling. But it’s hard to capture that in a photo. I also love to see people use plants in ways that surprise me, so this bonsai fushia is a good example of that:

Lithops also are really neat! Here is one erupting:

I am not from Alaska so some of the plants I see all around are familiar, but many aren’t. I’m really looking forward to feeling more connected to this place after this class, even though pineapple weed is a homey sight anywhere!

One comment

1. Welcome Emilia,
    yes, these are some unique plants you have featured, not sure I have many examples of some unique Alaska native plants, but of course an aquatic carnivorous plant, that you can find in most lakes in Alaska, is pretty bizarre. Check out the edge of Ballaine Lake, and you should be able to fin Utricularia vulgaris L. (common bladderwort). Check out how it operates https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ69c5bRJAU and what it looks like below.