Hello Everyone!

Hello! My name is Katie Roseberry. I live all the way at the top of Alaska, in Barrow. I have taken a few plant classes through my Ethnobotany certificate program, which I will be finishing up this summer with the help of this class. It’s been a while since I’ve taken ecology, so I look forward to re-familiarizing myself with biological plant terms. I completed a bachelors degree in biological sciences last year, with a focus on the human body, as I hope to make my way into the medical field someday. As for now, I am working at the local community college, Ilisagvik, and have recently been accepted into UAA’s bachelors of Dietetics program. I’ve had a special interest with the local plants around my community and am working to learn more about them to help revive their traditional uses as food and medicine. It’ll take a lot of patience and work, but I’m pretty set on this goal. I’ve also been trying to plan out a way to start a traditional medicine program at Ilisagvik College to make that knowledge more accessible to others. Below are my pups and I, Luna (black/white) and Phoenix (brown/white).

Nice to meet you all!

4 Comments

1. Stefanie

Hey Katie,

Great to ‘see’ you again! I love your goal. I was just reading ‘The World we used to live in’ by Vine Deloria, a book about traditional healers and shamans in North America, and was wondering about Alaska Native traditional healers and healing methods. Cute puppers, too. I’m sure they’ll help you finding and digging up plants. 🙂

2. Avatar photo Stefanie Burich

Hey Katie,

Great to ‘see’ you again! I love your goal. I was just reading ‘The World we used to live in’ by Vine Deloria, a book about traditional healers and shamans in North America, and was wondering about Alaska Native traditional healers and healing methods. Cute puppers, too. I’m sure they’ll help you finding and digging up plants. 🙂

Comments are closed.