My Bingo Sheet

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15H9OEkkJxElSKgFQNyn9agKt5U_I1Z8JCQCjh2bkOzI/edit?usp=sharing

3 Comments

1. Great job Yvonne, I am posting the bingo card here for others to see. Remember that the the white ‘leaves’ in the Cornus canadensis L. are actually bracts (bracts are modified leaves, so are petals and sepals). The terms zygomorphic and actinomorphic are generally associated with symmetry of the corolla, so using it for the bracts is not often used, as the bracts are often not in the same configurations as the petals and sepals are and they follow a different developmental pathway. But it shows the differences between the actinomorphic symmetry to the left in Asteraceae well. Here again, the inflorescence of the sunflower you are showing shows the star-shaped arrangement of the flowers in the inflorescence, but the individual flowers in this flower in the Lactuceae tribe of the Asteraceae, are zygomorphic, notice the 5 lobes at the end of each of the flowers. That is characteristic of this tribe, dandelions are also in this tribe. Check out this flower, it should have milky sap, another character of this tribe. Anyhow, inflorescences are a bit more complicated and symmetry is not assigned to these, it is rather restricted to corollas only.

2. Here are some pics of the Asteraceae flower types and the capitulum which is the inflorescence type of the Asteraceae. Note the five-lobed flower with the yellow arrow, that is the same flowers you are showing in the yellow Asteraceae capitulum. The only two actinomorphic corollas on the left are the tubulose and filiform corollas, all the other flowers are zygomorphic.

Comments are closed.