A. Plant with diverse form leaves: See B

B. Flowers in catkins: Plant 4

B. Flowers not in catkins: See C

C. Flowers are purplish: Plant 3

C. Flowers are white: Plant 2

3 Comments

1. Dorothy Sherer

Hello!
    Your key was quite concise and clear. I liked how you specified the types of leaves – I forget that needles are indeed leaves as well! I don’t see much of anything that needs improvement, but just a comment – you could probably just say the flowers are purple, especially since there aren’t any other flowers of that similar color. I’m sure if there were multiple purple flowers, you might have to distinguish between lilac and violet and fuchsia and so on… anyhow! Great job. I see you live in Kodiak, how cool! I’ve only been once and would love to return one day. I am sure you see a lot of interesting flora and fauna!

2. T.

I am new to plant biology and I was able to use your key very easily. I liked your “in catkin” vs “not in catkin” choice.
    Thanks for sharing!

3. Juanita Magnetek

Hello, Heather! compared to the dichotomous keys we used for the violets assignment, this one was a cinch to use. I love that it was broken down quickly, using the “fork in the road” method, and not complicated by extra plant features or choices in each statement. I enjoyed your use of the proper term for the non-petaled flowers. That helps me to look up and remember… The only thing that I think would make it more concise is a differentiation between your A’s, B’s and C’s, although that did not affect my outcome, which was easy to get to. Thanks!

Comments are closed.