Having very little experience with dichotomous keys and only a little experience with the proper names of plant pieces and parts, I struggled with this assignment and still am not sure what I’m doing. Though I’m familiar with some plant parts and use those for identification, the photos in the bins didn’t always have those parts. I was also confused by the sizes and other plants in the photos and even started keying out the compound leaves of the background plant in Bin 2 before I realized it wasn’t part of the specimen plant. This assignment took hours upon hours and included a 200 mile round-trip drive to get help from Rebecca, although much of the time I stared at the photos without a clue as to where to start. I’m still just stumbling around with the terminology – the struggle is real 😉 My first drafts of these dichotomous keys were using common words I could easily understand to describe the parts. Then I used the Harris & Harris book to find the correct (hopefully) terminology.
EDIT: After learning from Steffi that the assignment was to use the Bins to make a simple dichotomous key: