Introduction Terry Morache

Hi, I’m Terry I’m taking this class because I love Alaskan Flora. I feel it should be a required class for anyone doing a BS Arctic Ecology focus. Off my soapbox. I grew up in New England in the woods ponds swamps you name it. I grew up admiring Rachel Carson and still do. We camped, and hiked all over the east coast. When I was in the service I was stationed in the Pacific Northwest on Coast Guard ships that patrolled from Antarctica to Alaska and looked over the scientists’ shoulders. I moved to Alaska in 08 to Mat Su Wasilla and Willow till Sockeye then I moved to the Fairbanks area. Attended school at Bay community college in one part of UP and then Lake Superior State on Lake Superior I have been home for just over a year. When I moved here from Texas I went to Every National Park on the way. My major is Ecological and Evolutionary Biology with Minors in Alaska Native Studies and Alaska Climate Change Biology. I have 3 favorite Alaskan flowers. Fireweed not only for its beauty but its versatility as a food. Swamp Iris of Mat-Su Valley Palmer Hayflats. Finally, the Arctic Rose has many uses as food, medicine, and perfume. I admire it because it is resilient.

One comment

1. Welcome Terry,
    what a gorgeous image of fireweed! As you can tell from the class banner I love fireweed myself. I have seen some variations in the flower color of fireweed, but the white fireweed as still alluded me (the image is from https://alaskanessences.com/products/white-fireweed-i-epilobium-angustifolium-i). Sounds like you have done a bit of traveling. I love to explore and seek out exotic plants along the way. One of my favorite things to do and one of the benefits of being a botanist. Many of my friends in grad school would choose plants to study that would enable them to travel to some pretty amazing places. I worked on Ephedra (Mormon tea), it is found all over the SW US, but extends into Mexico and all the way down to Tierra Del Fuego in S Chile. Lots of traveling to check the many different habitats of Ephedra out for my grad studies. And yes, this class should be required for any ecology major in AK.

Comments are closed.